Last week we released an update to the free 170,000+ Recipes – BigOven App for iPhone.
We’ve separately announced and described the revolutionary new RecipeScan feature that lets you get written recipes into your BigOven account more easily than ever before.
But also included with the free app update is the new ability to capture and upload food photos right from your iPhone!
Here at BigOven, we love photos. Photos help everyone search better, cook better, get plating suggestions, and general inspiration. Photos make for a better site experience for everyone. We encourage you to upload them.
You could also win a $100 Amazon Gift Card plus Pro membership for 1 year in our Monthly Food Photo Contest!
Some simple tips for a better food photos:
- Good lighting is critical. Avoid use of the flash; this tends to “flatten” the image and make it very harsh.
- Consider lighting in warm light, like outdoor light, incandescent or halogen light.
- Make sure the dish itself is the “hero” of the shot. Get close.
- Consider angles other than just top-down – experiment with isometric views and off-angles
- Pay attention to focus, composition, rhythm, and color
Here’s how to upload a food photo:
Step 1: Just search for a recipe you’ve made that you’d like to add a photo to.
Step 2: Scroll to the bottom of the display and tap the camera icon
Step 3: Take your photo (or choose it from your existing pictures library) and upload it!
You can orient the photo the way you’d like; BigOven will rotate it properly before approval. Note that BigOven photos are squared and centered for all but the raw image on the site.
(We recommend using horizontal orientation for most photos.)
Step 4: BigOven editors will review the submitted photo and approve it, typically within the day.
Thanks for helping to make BigOven even better. Download the iPhone app today – it’s free!