BigOven keeps your recipes organized across the web and mobile devices, and lets you sign in and join via Facebook, Google+ or email. Sometimes, when moving to a new device or upgrading their app and signing in, cooks notice a near-empty My Recipes area and write in to say “Help, where are all my recipes?”
The first thing to note is that all your recipes are still there, safe and sound — it’s just that you very likely have inadvertently created more than one membership (by, say, accidentally clicking “Join” instead of “Sign In”), and you’re likely not signed into the “master” account. Very often, this arises because you may have added recipes using one (say, email-based) BigOven membership and then sign into, or inadvertently create, a totally different membership (say, via Facebook, if you’ve used a different email address for that registration.)
Not to worry. Your recipes are still there — you simply need to sign in with the correct account.
Key concept: BigOven places high value on your email address to identify who you are.
How Facebook and Google+ Sign-in Work
When you sign into BigOven with Facebook or with Google+, after you give permission to BigOven and have authenticated with them, at sign-in BigOven is handed the registered email address you have with Facebook or Google+, and next looks for a BigOven membership with that email address.
But a problem can arise if you’ve used a different email address to register with Facebook or Google+ than the one you may have created on BigOven. Thus when you sign in, you may see radically different or fewer recipes in that secondary account.
There’s an easy fix
You simply need to use the same email address on BigOven as you do with the service(s) you sign in with.
- From a desktop computer (or a mobile device), you can use the BigOven.com website to locate and verify your “master” account — i.e., the primary one that matters most to you.
- Sign into BigOven.com. Check your My Recipes area to verify that this is indeed where your recipes are. (If not, try another login.)
- Click on the Account tab to check your account details. This will tell you what email address is registered for the account.
- If you don’t remember your password for this email account, you can set or reset one by visiting https://www.bigoven.com/account/forgot. BigOven will email you a reset-your-password link, and you can choose a new password.
- Now, sign out of the app in question. (On the new iOS apps, you can see the Sign Out option by clicking the Bell icon and then the gear icon in the upper right.)
- Sign into the app using the email/password combination that you’ve verified is the correct one from the web.
- If you have more than a couple dozen recipes, give it several minutes to pull down your recipes, grocery list and folders.
Your accounts are now linked and synchronized.
Alternatively, you can change the registered email address of your BigOven.com account to the one that you know is registered for Facebook and Google+. To change your registered email address on BigOven, visit your “Account Settings” area and then the Account tab.
Still having problems? Open a support ticket with as many details as you can provide (usernames, email addresses you might have used) and we’ll be happy to help.