Today, we’re announcing a very important change in our purchase and delivery model for BigOven for Windows, our leading desktop recipe organizer for Windows:
- BigOven for Windows is now FREE for all users for local desktop recipe organization. By “local desktop” recipe organization, we mean all those features that only use your PC, and do NOT require access to BigOven.com or the free mobile apps. There’s no more registration code, no more 30-day trial period, and no more product activation. You can install as many BigOven for Windows copies as you’d like, anywhere.
- Use of online features from within BigOven for Windows will now require BigOven PRO membership. These features include displaying online-hosted recipes from within the program, 1-click recipe import, posting recipes and grocery lists, leftover wizard searching of the 170,000+ recipe archive.
- Tech support and product updates/upgrades will be limited to BigOven PRO members Over the seven years since BigOven for Windows first shipped, we’ve delivered hundreds of product enhancements, and we’ve never charged a penny extra for them, beyond the initial purchase. We’ll continue to deliver product upgrades, but you’ll have to be a BigOven PRO member to receive them from this date forward.
- We are giving every past purchaser of BigOven for Windows a free 1 year membership to BigOven PRO. We thank you sincerely for your purchase of BigOven for Windows, and know this is a significant change. If you’re a BigOven for Windows user, to help you evaluate BigOven PRO, you can upgrade your membership for an entire year with our compliments at no extra charge. See below for how to upgrade to BigOven PRO; no purchase or credit card info is required. (Are you already a BigOven PRO member? We’ll be happy to extend your membership by 1 year, but it cannot be done by the automated system – just jot us a note at email@example.com with your serial number from the email account you used to create your BigOven account. We’ll verify your PRO status and add a year free!)
Simplified Pricing Starting Today
Starting today, ALL BigOven software – all our mobile apps and our dedicated Windows desktop application – are free of charge to download and install as many times as you’d like.
Then, you optionally upgrade your membership to our PRO level to get more features wherever you’re logged in.
Note that a single membership gives you benefits across all of the BigOven apps. You don’t need to buy more than one PRO membership per BigOven account. You don’t need to worry about paying for the clients you download; they’re free. And you can download and install as many apps as you’d like.
Why are we making this change?
A great deal has changed since we released BigOven for Windows version 1.0 in 2004:
- Mobile usage, particularly that of smartphones and tablets, has exploded. We’ve grown from a community a few thousand Windows desktop users to over 5 million downloaders of our free apps for iPhone, iPad Android and Windows Phone 7. Some people even have multiple devices – web browsers from Windows or Mac, desktop Windows software, iPhones, iPads, etc.
- Consumers have clearly told us they want to access their recipes anywhere, anytime, from any device. You’ve also told us you want features like grocery lists, nutrition and more on any device.
- We don’t want you to have to pay us multiple times to use the same BigOven features on every device, and yet we also want to bring those same features to every device. This strongly suggests a membership based model is best for you (and for us) rather than a device/platform based pricing model. If you are a premium member, it should apply wherever you are.
- We’ll continue to upgrade the clients, and continue to add powerful, useful recipe organization features that special PRO members can use.
- Registration and activation are hassles for you, and for us. By far, our biggest tech support incident relates to activation and registration the software. With this change, you no longer have to worry about activation hassles, and we can focus more of our time on delivering the best recipe organization tool for you. Simply download BigOven for Windows and install it onto as many computers as you’d like! There’s no more “trial mode”, no more registration, and no more activation.
- Online features are not one-time costs for us, they very much have recurring operational costs. That is, bandwidth and servers cost money to deliver every hour, day and month, irrespective of the development cost. The world is increasingly connected, data should be available anywhere. We need to align the Windows platform costs with its revenue model, and this also simplifies our product line at the same time, since it’s exactly like our pricing models for iPad, iPhone, Windows Phone 7 and Android.
- We want to open up BigOven for Windows to more and more people, and giving it away free makes sense for you and for us. That’s because BigOven grows much more valuable the more people use it. Among other things, more people means more recipes, more photos, more reviews.
- This dramatically simplifies our product line. In the past, several users have gotten confused about whether BigOven PRO includes the desktop software license or vice versa. Over the past several months, we’ve gotten more inquiries asking about the difference between BigOven PRO and BigOven for Windows. This simplifies it greatly: BigOven for Windows is free, BigOven PRO is a membership level for you to get more out of BigOven, wherever you are.
I purchased BigOven for Windows. How do I get my free upgrade?
First, get the latest version of BigOven for Windows. It should be version 1.9.1 or later. (Choose “About…” from the Help menu to see which version you have.) If you don’t have version 1.9.1 or later, download it here: http://www.bigoven.com/software/windows
You should be prompted when you try one of the online features of BigOven, such as viewing a recipe from the BigOven.com archive from within BigOven for Windows.
Simply launch BigOven for Windows, and access one of the online features, or choose “Check for Updates” from the Help menu. It’ll walk you through the brief process.
If you are already a PRO member and would like a 1 year extension as a thank-you for purchasing BigOven for Windows, jot us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org from the same email account you used to join BigOven.
DEADLINE FOR FREE YEAR PRO OFFER: You
must activate your free year of BigOven PRO before December 31st 2011 (that’s six months after we are making this announcement). Your year begins the date you activate the membership.
What do I get with BigOven PRO?
BigOven PRO gives you the ability to post recipes privately to BigOven.com, and then access them from your iPad, iPhone, Android or Windows Mobile device. It gives you nutrition facts, a fully synchronizing online grocery list, and the ability to post your grocery list to it from BigOven for Windows.
It also removes all advertising from the website and mobile apps for an entire year. BigOven PRO now includes technical support and product updates to BigOven for Windows. And we’ve got even more features for BigOven PRO to be released later this year.
What happens after my BigOven PRO membership expires?
After your membership expires, you’ll be invited to renew your BigOven PRO membership. It’s priced at $15.99/year; that’s less than $0.30 per week.
Does this mean BigOven for Windows is going away?
No way! Quite the opposite – this aligns all of our product offerings on a common model, and will make it MUCH easier to continue to add great features and power.
I bought BigOven for Windows in the past 6 months (in 2011). I understand your decision here, but this new method isn’t what I thought I was buying. Can I return it?
Yes, you sure can! We are offering a full refund on any BigOven for Windows purchase in 2011. However, please note that this will void your ability to upgrade to BigOven PRO for a full year. To get your refund, simply forward your purchase email, which should include both the order number and serial number, to email@example.com.
I don’t own BigOven for Windows. How does this change affect me?
It doesn’t affect you at all!
Remember, the key idea is that it’s free to join BigOven, and it’s now free to download any BigOven client on any machine you’d like – Windows, iPad, iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 7. To upgrade to an extra level of power, upgrade your membership BigOven PRO.
Still have questions? Please let us know. Thanks!